While cucumbers are a familiar sight in the produce section they are notoriously overlooked in favor of other vegetables. The long, dark green, smooth-skin variety are the most familiar, however cucumbers can come in a variety of shapes, sizes, textures and colors. You can find white or yellow cucumbers with smooth and thin or thick and rough skin. Cucumbers are grown around the world and are typically divided into two types: slicing cucumbers, which are grown to eat fresh, and pickling cucumbers, which are those that are made into pickles.
Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin K, with one medium cucumber providing 60 percent of your daily needs. They are also a good source of vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. This green-skinned veggie contains three types of phytonutrients that provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. One medium cucumber contains 96 percent water, making it a great way to hydrate.
How to Use Cucumbers
The mild flavor of cucumbers lends itself to a host of different recipes. Use fresh sliced cucumbers as a vehicle for hummus, salsa or guacamole, or layer them on a sandwich for a boost of fiber. For more unexpected ways to use cucumber, try these 35 healthy cucumber recipes.
- Greek Tuna Salad Bites by Marisa Moore from Marisa Moore Nutrition (served on cucumber slices)
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Bites by Christy Brissette from 80 Twenty Nutrition
- Smoked Salmon Salad Bites by Danielle Cushing from The Every Kitchen (served on cucumber slices)
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Cucumber Bites by Kristy Henger from Chocolate Slopes
- Asian Chicken Salad Cucumber Bites by Holley Grainger from Holley Grainger MS, RD
- Easy Cucumber Bites by Marie Dittmer from Healthy Ideas Place
- Spicy Tuna Cucumber Sushi Rolls by Julie Andrews from The Gourmet RD
- Dill Pickle Chips by Jessica Penner from Smart Nutrition
- Cucumber Dill Ricotta Cups by Brittany Poulson from Your Choice Nutrition
- Cucumber Dill Yogurt Parfait by Lindsey Pine from Tasty Balance Nutrition
- Cucumber Mango Salsa by Marie Dittmer from Healthy Ideas Place
- Cucumber Avocado Gazpacho Shooters by E.A. Stewart from Spicy RD Nutrition
- Strawberry Cucumber Salad by Judy Barbe from Live Best
- Avocado Mango and Cucumber Salad by Sarah Koszyk from Family. Food. Fiesta.
- Cucumber Salad with Vinegar by Sally Kuzemchak from Real Mom Nutrition
- Tomato Cucumber Salad with Fresh Herbs by Roxanne Begum from The Delicious Crescent
- Cucumber Scallion Salad by Chrissy Carroll from Snacking in Sneakers
- Mango-Ji-Cumba Salad by Christy Wilson from Christy Wilson Nutrition
- Kiwi Cucumber Salad by Chelsey Amer from C it Nutritionally
- Kachumber Salad (aka Indian Cucumber Yogurt Salad) by Elizabeth Shaw from Shaw’s Simple Swaps
- Sexy Strawberry Cucumber Salad by Abbey Sharp from Abbey’s Kitchen
- Wakame Seaweed Salad by Sarah Koszyk from Family. Food. Fiesta.
- Cucumber Sesame Rolls with Tahini Dipping Sauce by Lori Zanini from Lori Zanini Nutrition
- Cucumber Tomato Mango Salad by Brittany Poulson from Your Choice Nutrition
- Healthy Tuna Noodle Salad by Chelsey Amer from C it Nutritionally
- Blended Asian Beef Bowl with Cucumber and Carrot Salad by Katie Cavuto from Katie Cavuto Nourish Breathe Thrive
- Cucumber Tomato Salad by Isabel Smith from Isabel Smith Nutrition
- Thai Cucumber Ribbon Salad with Peanuts by Deanna Segrave-Daly from Teaspoon of Spice
- Fresh Salmon Ceviche with Cucumber and Radishes by Jessica Levinson from Nutritioulicious
- Cucumber Tomato Chickpea Salad by Julie Harrington from RDelicious Kitchen
- Cucumber and Strawberry Salad by Sarah Pflugrath from Salubrious RD
- Rice and Greens: Thai Cucumber Brown Rice Bowl by Vicki Retelny from The Lifestyle Nutritionist
- Cucumber Herb Champagne Sparkler by Sharon Palmer from The Plant-Powered Dietitian
- Cucumber Lime Granita with Spicy Mango by Abbey Sharp from Abbey’s Kitchen
- Cucumber Margarita by Gabriel Cabrera from the Luvo Blog
What is your favorite way to use cucumbers? Let us know in the comments section or on Twitter at @luvoinc. Be sure to unlock a coupon to use on your next Luvo purchase and sign-up for Luvo’s newsletter for more nutritious recipes and exclusive giveaways.