If you’re trying to eat less dairy or you’re lactose intolerant, alternatives that taste just as good as the real thing can make it easier. Rose sauce gives you a nice balance between the tang of tomato sauce and the creaminess of Alfredo sauce, and you can make it completely vegan with just a few ingredients. Vegan chefs know that cashews are the secret ingredient when trying to recreate that creamy-factor without using actual cream. Try this vegan rose sauce and serve it with the pasta of your choice, or go for spaghetti squash or gluten-free pasta and it’s vegan AND gluten-free! Here’s how to do it:
Cashew Rose Sauce
- 2 ripe roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 2-3 tbsps water or wine, to thin out (vodka also works!)
- Place tomatoes, cashews, tomato paste and water in a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat until golden, being careful not to burn it.
- Pour sauce from the blender into the pan and bring to a simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water/wine/vodka to reach your desired sauce consistency.
- Pour over your pasta of choice and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
Try this cashew rose sauce recipe and let us know what you think! Share in the comments section below. Be sure to be sure to sign-up for Luvo¹s newsletter for exclusive giveaways and download Luvo’s 7-day meal and fitness plan for more nutrition tips and recipes.