Got some less-than-perfect strawberries left at the bottom of the container? Don’t throw them away! Save them and make a face mask that will help fight acne and wrinkles naturally. This simple mask recipe also includes honey, which is a natural anti-oxidant that helps fight skin impurities. You can also use frozen strawberries if you don’t have fresh, but just be sure to thaw them first.
Strawberries are among one of the best super foods, and they have many great natural benefits for our skin. They are loaded with Vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, aspartic acid, ellagic acid, folate and fiber. If you are not familiar with ellagic acid, it’s in the phenolic acid family and can help block wrinkles as well as aid in blood sugar balance. Strawberries can help save your skin from things like acne, blackheads, white heads, excessive oil, dryness and more. They also are important for a healthy metabolism and can regenerate Vitamin E in your body.
The mildly abrasive texture of strawberries make it an excellent natural exfoliator that will scour dirt, dead cells and excess oils from the skin’s surface. The honey will gently cleanse your face and act as a mild exfoliator to counteract the abrasiveness. Honey also lightens acne scars and dark spots and locks in moisture, keeping your skin hydrated and smooth!
The best thing about this mask is that you may already have both ingredients in your kitchen. Also check out these other great DIY beauty treatments you can do at home.
A couple of tips for using this face mask:
- Use an oil-free moisturizer after.
- Don’t pluck off those leaves; they will help gently exfoliate your skin.
- Use raw honey for the best results; the processed type may irritate the skin.
- Always test a small bit first on your skin, preferably your inner elbow or wrist to see if you are allergic.
Strawberry Honey Face Mask
- 2 to 3 mashed strawberries
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Cleanse your skin to prepare your pores for the mask.
- In a small bowl, mash 2-3 strawberries into a pulp. Don’t overdo it; you don’t want a watery mixture.
- Stir in the honey until you form a fairly smooth paste.
- Apply the paste onto your face in a gentle circular motion. Massage the mask onto your skin for at least two minutes.
- Leave on face for fifteen minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water first then cold water to close off pores.
Share your favorite foods to use for beauty with us in the comments or over on Twitter at @luvoinc. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter, Plated, to unlock a $2 coupon to use on your next Luvo purchase.