Chances are, you’re eating enough protein. The typical American diet is high in protein, and most adults get ample amounts. While you may be meeting your protein goals, one thing you’re probably are lacking? Plant-based protein. Even die-hard carnivores can benefit from eating more plant-based protein. The plants highest in protein include whole grains like quinoa, nuts, seeds, soybean products such as tofu or tempeh, and pulses, part of the legume family that includes peas, lentils, chickpeas, and dried beans like kidney beans or navy beans.
The health benefits of plant-based proteins have been well-documented, and going meat-free even one day a week can be beneficial. Pulses are one of the highest sources of protein, are available dried or canned, and pair well with a variety of foods and meals. Try these 25 plant protein recipes that make delicious use of these protein powerhouses.
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower by Kara Lydon from The Foodie Dietitian
- Greens and Beans Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms by Emily from Emily Kyle Nutrition
- Tomato, Avocado and Chickpea Salad by Lyssie Lakatos & Tammy Lakatos Shames from The Nutrition Twins
- Vegan White Bean Cassoulet by Abbey Sharp from Abbey’s Kitchen
- Curried Chickpea Salad by Alexis Joseph from Hummusapien
- Savory Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Cynthia Sass for org
- Lentil Alphabet Soup by Liz Weiss & Janice Bissex from Meal Makeover Moms
- Beefy BBQ Baked Bean Pizza by Elizabeth Shaw from Shaw’s Simple Swaps
- Curried Lentil Lettuce Wraps by Cynthia Sass from her book Slim Down Now
- Quick & Easy Lentil Feta Bruschetta by E.A. Stewart from The Spicy RD
- Tempeh and Kale Enchilada Casserole by Alexis Joseph from Hummusapien
- Vegetarian Cobb Salad with Sweet Potatoes by Isadora from She Likes Food
- High Protein Avocado Toast with White Beans by Abbey Sharp from Abbey’s Kitchen
- Black Bean Chili Topped Sweet Potatoes by Katie Morford from Mom’s Kitchen Handbook
- Orzo with Butternut Squash and White Beans by Jenny Shea Rawn from My Cape Cod Kitchen
- Dill Quinoa with Fava Beans by Lauren Sharifi from Bite of Health Nutrition
- Cheesy Butternut Squash and Yellow Split Pea Soup by Natalie Rizzo from Nutrition a la Natalie
- Spinach Salad with Jicama and Black Beans by Jessica Levinson from Nutritioulicious
- Peanut Butter Chickpea Protein Bars by Lauren Blake from Whole Living Lauren
- Green Pea Quinoa Cakes by Stephanie McKercher from The Grateful Grazer
- Sage White Bean Veggie Balls with Pomegranate Mandarin Sauce by Sharon Palmer from the Plant Powered Blog
- White Bean Breakfast Hash from Erin at The Almond Eater
- Sorghum Pesto Bowl with Heirloom Tomatoes by me at Alissa Rumsey Nutrition & Wellness
- Avocado Tofu Power Bowl by Jenny Shea Rawn from My Cape Cod Kitchen
- Beans and Greens Burrito with Cashew Queso by Rachael Hartley from Avocado a Day Nutrition
And don’t forget Luvo’s new plant-based Power Bowls, packed with whole grains, veggies and plant proteins.
Give a few of these recipes a try and let us know what you think! Be sure to also sign-up for Luvo’s newsletter for more nutritious recipes and exclusive giveaways.