PSL is a thing. You can pretty much find pumpkin-spiced anything. And maybe at the current moment, you’re pumpkin threshold has reached it’s maximum. But, before you sign-off on eating any more pumpkin, I challenge you to reconsider. Pumpkin is versatile, it tastes great, and it’s an easy way to boost nutrition in anything from oatmeal to baked goods to yogurt to pasta.
Nutritionally speaking, pumpkin rocks. It’s loaded with Vitamin A, an important antioxidant that keeps our bodies strong and healthy, warding off free radical damage. It’s also a good place to get fiber, which helps with satiety and promotes good intestinal health. From a culinary standpoint, pumpkin is a dream. It tastes amazingly earthy and sweet when roasted. When cooked and pureed, it creates a beautiful, rich (low calorie) filling for ravioli and lasagna. And when that same puree is used in quick breads or muffins, you get a treat that is super-moist and delicious without having to use a lot of butter or oil. And those seeds! Wow, are they under-utilized! Roast them and use them as a topping for salads, soups or to just to have as a snack.
Now, that you’re ready to get your apron on, check out these awesome recipes that celebrate and honor one of our favorite gourds!
- Healthier Pumpkin Pancakes from Jessica Fishman Levinson, MS, RDN, CDN of Nutritioulicious
- Frozen Single-Serving Pumpkin Steel Cut Oatmeal from Julie Harrington, RD, of RDelicious Kitchen
- Pumpkin French Toast from Kelli Shallal, RD, of Hungry Hobby
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal with Streusel Topping from Alissa Rumsey, RD, of Alissa Rumsey Nutrition and Wellness
- Flourless Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Muffin Bites from Tawnie Kroll, RDN, of Kroll’s Korner
- Pumpkin Bread with Cranberries from Sara Haas, RDN, LDN, of www.sarahaasrdn.com
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie from Amy Gorin, RD, of Amy Gorin Nutrition
- Pumpkin Smoothie from Luvo
- Rigatoni with Sweet Turkey Sausage and Creamy Pumpkin Sauce from Anne Dahany, RDN, of Craving Something Healthy
- Slow Cooker Creamy Pumpkin Chicken from Lindsay Livingston, RDN, of The Lean Green Bean
- Pumpkin Chickpea Soup from Shannon Garcia, RD, of Lone Star Nutrition
- Pumpkin Kale Turkey Sausage Spaghetti Pie from Jamie Vespa, RD, of Dishing Out Health
- Pumpkin Lentil Curry from Alexandra Dusenberry, RDN, of Bouquets and Baguettes
- Butternut Squash & Massaged Kale Chickpea Pasta Salad from Mandy Enright, MS, RDN, RYT, of Nutrition Nuptials
- Southwestern Pumpkin Soup from Denise Barratt, RDN, of Vine Ripe Nutrition
- Creamy Pumpkin Risotto from Kaleigh McMordie, RDN, of Lively Table
- Salad with Cantaloupe, Radishes and Pumpkin Seeds from Sharon Palmer, RDN, of Sharon Palmer
- Pumpkin Greek Yogurt Bark from Chrissy Carroll, RD, of Snacking in Sneakers
- Chocolate Lovers Roasted Squash Seeds from Ariella Nelson, RDN, of Perspective Portions
- Pumpkin Vinaigrette from Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN, of Nutrition Starring You
- Spiced Pumpkin Seed Milk from Katie Cavuto, MS, RD, of Healthy Bites, Nourish. Breathe.Thrive
Share your favorite ways to eat pumpkin in the comments and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter, Plated, to unlock a $2 coupon to use on your next Luvo purchase.