It’s National Egg Day, which means it’s time for us all to take a moment to praise the all-mighty egg! Humans have been eating eggs for thousands of years in one form or another. This could be due to the fact that these little guys pack tons of nutrition, not to mention culinary versatility, within their delicate shells. In fact, eggs are one of the healthiest foods on the planet.
More reasons why eggs are amazing:
For every large egg you eat, you get a whopping 14 essential nutrients, only 78 calories and 5 grams of fat, including heart-healthy omega-3s. A quick breakdown:
- 6 grams of complete protein
- Vitamins A, B2, B5, and B12
- Folate for development of new cells
- Iron for healthy blood
- Niacin to support nerve function
- Antioxidant lutein and zeaxanthine to keep your eyes healthy
- Choline to support brain development, function and memory
- Zinc for a strong immune system
On top of all this, eggs give you the good kind of cholesterol and actually lower the bad kinds. They also keep you full longer, which can help with healthy weight management.
To enjoy all the amazing benefits of eggs, make sure you don’t skip the yolk! It contains nearly 90% of the egg’s nutritional value.
So Many Ways to Eat ‘Em!
From omelets and benedicts to cookies and cakes, most people know how to use eggs in classic breakfasts and baking, but here are some other ways you can add these wholesome little wonders to your menu:
- Hard-boiled as a quick snack or sliced on top of a salad
- Fried as a topper for your favorite rice bowl
- Scrambled or fried on top of a corn tortilla with beans, salsa and cheese
- Whisked with your favorite chopped veggies, herbs and cheese and baked in oiled muffin tins at 350°F for about 10 minutes
You can also try them in our Farmer’s Market Frittata!