St. Patrick’s Day is as good a day as any other to incorporate Guinness beer into your meals. Guinness, as you probably know, is an Irish beer. It’s considered a dry stout. Though it has an imposing dark colour and thick black richness, the flavor is not that aggressive. It’s got a pleasant roasted malty tang, that makes it a great beer to cook with in a multitude of ways.
Here’s a fantastic Guinness-inspired recipe from the Artful Desperado to get you into the St. Patrick’s Day spirit!
Sticky Guinness and Smoky BBQ Portobello Mushroom Burgers (Serves 4)
The sticky mushrooms get a delicious smoky flavour from the guinness and bbq sauce, which goes really well with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese. To make it even better, I added a lemon-y mayo that kicks in a touch of freshness.
This recipe is vegetarian and it can even be made vegan by swapping the mayo, bread, and cheese for vegan friendly options.
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- ¼ cup guinness beer
- ¼ cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 tsp chipotle powder (or chili powder)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Red onions
- Aged cheddar cheese (extra sharp)
- Turn on the broiler in your oven. Place the portobello mushrooms on a baking sheet.
- Combine the beer, bbq sauce, chipotle powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl, whisk until combined. Using a brush, baste the mushrooms with a thick layer of the guinness mix. Broil mushrooms for 8 minutes, until the sauce starts to dry, carefully take them out and baste with guinness mix. Repeat this 2 more times. Remove mushrooms from the oven once they look sticky and they start to shrivel, add the cheese on the hot mushrooms (so it melts).
- Now in a food processor or using a hand blender, blend the mayo, parsley, thyme, and lemon juice. Taste for seasoning, it should taste nicely acidic.
- Toast your buns, place some of the lemon and parsley mayo on them, then start stacking! First the mushrooms, then your toppings.
What are you eating (and drinking) for St. Patrick’s Day? Why not start your day with our take on everyone’s favorite green shake! Share your substitutions and feedback in the comments below and be sure to sign-up for Luvo’s newsletter for more nutritious recipes and exclusive giveaways.