There’s nothing I miss more around the holidays than my grandmother’s hearty noodle casserole. Given that she’s on the other side of the country and I’m trying to keep my carbs in check for a last-minute half marathon, I challenged our Food Stylist Gabriel Cabrera to create a healthier-but-still-delicious version. Here’s his take on the French classic that’s sure to satisfy everyone’s comfort food cravings.
Chicken Chorizo Cassoulet
- 4 Luvo Chicken Chorizo Chili meals
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped kale
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (see method below)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a baking dish and set aside.
- Sautée the onions, garlic, and thyme in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Reduce heat once onions are translucent and cook for another 10-15 minutes until they begin to caramelize. Remove from heat and discard thyme sprig. Add chopped kale and toss in the warm onions.
- Cook Luvo meals according to package instructions.
- To make the fresh breadcrumbs simply place 3 or 4 slices of bread (can be rustic bread, sourdough, or even sandwich bread) in a blender or food processor and pulse a few times until you get coarse breadcrumbs. Place the fresh crumbs into a small bowl and toss with the paprika and olive oil. Season with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Put the caramelized onions and kale at the bottom of the greased baking dish and spread them evenly, add the Luvo Chicken Chorizo Chili, and top with the paprika breadcrumbs. Drizzle the whole thing with just a touch of olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until breadcrumbs are golden brown and toasty.
- To serve, scoop the chilli cassoulet and top with fresh chopped parsley, Serves 4.
Share your substitutions with us in the comments section!