While most people think of couscous as part of the grain family, it is technically a teeny tiny pasta made with semolina wheat. It’s a staple in North African cuisine, often served with a hearty stew spooned on top. Because of its small grain it cooks very quickly, making it an almost instant dish. You can also find pearl couscous (also know as Israeli couscous) which is larger in size, but still cooks in less than 10 minutes.
Is it good for me?
Traditional couscous is made from semolina, so nutritionally it’s pretty much equivalent to white pasta. There is very little nutrition, other than carbs and some protein. Whole wheat couscous is a different story, as it is made from whole wheat durum flour. It features 5 to 6 grams of fiber per serving, compared with 2 grams of fiber in traditional couscous, and is a good source of iron. Whole wheat couscous is your best bet in order to get a larger variety of nutrients.
The mild flavor of couscous pairs well with a variety of flavors, and can be enjoyed at any meal of the day. Try these couscous recipes, featuring hearty and nutrient-packed whole wheat couscous.
- Kale & Couscous Breakfast Bowl by Jackie Newgent
- Nutty Chocolate Couscous Breakfast Bars by Katrina Waters for Stone Soup Blog
- Pecan Date Breakfast Couscous by Deanna Segrave-Daly of Teaspoon of Spice
- Whole Wheat Couscous with Citrus-Champagne Vinaigrette by The Nutrition Twins
- Paprika Couscous Salad by Haley Goodrich of InspiRD Nutrition
- Whole Wheat Couscous with Roasted Veggies by Jess of the Inquiring Chef
- Whole Wheat Pearl Couscous with Arugula and Cherries from The Kitchn
- Mediterranean Buddha Bowl Couscous by Elizabeth Shaw of Shaw’s Simple Swaps
- Spicy Chickpeas and Couscous by Katy Dyer for the Plant Powered Blog
- Couscous and Lentil Salad by Red Dietitians
- Israeli Couscous Stuffed Eggplant by Chelsey Amer of C it Nutritionally
- Medjool Date Couscous by Oldways PT
- Citrus Pomegranate Chicken with Whole Wheat Couscous from Delish.com
- East Indian Curried Chicken and Capers with Whole Wheat Couscous by Gina of The Candid RD
Share your favorite recipes using couscous in the comments below and be sure to sign-up for Luvo’s newsletter for more nutritious recipes and exclusive giveaways.